Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Don't Loosen Your Grip

3:00 AM (yes AM), awake and getting ready to catch a flight to a place unlike any other I have traveled.  4:00 AM, the rushing begins. . .hurry to get tickets, make it through security, grab breakfast (Starbuck’s of course) and board the plane.  While waiting to taxi, I begin praying and thinking.  I ask for safety of course, but then I get to talking with God and realize the journey which lay ahead is not just a vacation.  It is an experience in my life that I will go through that will cause a change.  I will not be the same person upon returning.  Each experience, good or bad, each decision made in the course of your day changes you.  It amazes me to think about how God uses every situation to bring growth and teach.  I stand in awe of His Mighty Works!

I want to share some lessons I learned while visiting the ‘Big Apple’. . .

The truth behind a New York minute – my feet can vouch for this one as I walked faster and took in more in an instant than I could ever do in a minute at home!

What if feels like to fear for my husband’s life – he ventured out at 1:30 in the morning to get medicine because of my allergic reaction to something (awwww. . .what a fantastic man!).  I prayed the whole time for his safe return.  1:30 holds way more danger and risk in NY than any parts of our city. 

The only person that exists in NYC is SELF – it does not matter whose feet get stepped on, who does not get on the subway, what car is waiting to drive through an intersection or how many times you tell the person handing out a brochure NOT INTERESTED; everyone is out for themselves.  They are on a mission and you better not get in their way.

How blessed I truly am – many have no roof over their head to return to each evening, a companion to share this life, many do not know when the next meal will come and/or they lack a relationship with Jesus.  I am blessed beyond words to have a place to call home here, to share this life with my best friend, continually receive nourishment beyond necessary and know Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  I spent most of my days in NYC praying for those who do not know Jesus and look to this world for comfort, peace, joy and life.

Emotions flooded my thoughts and heart daily.  Lessons bombarded the time spent in NYC.  I returned home a little stronger, further in my journey and closer to Him.  Amongst all the teachings and eye opening experiences. . .one stands above all.  The fact of how quickly we conform to the patterns of the surrounding environment.  Day one – I meekly walked through the streets of NYC, said “excuse me” quite a few times, experienced shock at the site of dirty streets, felt sad for those without a home, scared when boarding a subway, clung close to my husband for protection and by the end of the day wanted to go home and hold my children while sitting quietly on my couch.  Day two – a new day, walked a bit faster, began to ignore the bright orange hand telling me not to cross the street (that is just what you do in NYC) and did not cling so tightly to my husband.  By day three – my feet walked quickly, chest out, no saying “excuse me”, ignored the cars honking at me, nothing seen brought shock and I fit right in with the locals (or so I thought).  Was I happy?  Was I myself?  Was it worth it?

Well, conforming helped me survive; but inside, I screamed for quiet, polite words, clean environment, a vehicle and enough money to bring peace to all the homeless seen.  I became a New Yorker. . .not Sheree Craig.  I did not like it, but I had to survive, right?

Doesn’t life challenge us in the same way?  As Christians, we leave our home filled with Scripture and holding our Father’s Hand tightly.  As the day continues, temptation appears for us to change in order to ‘fit in’ to whichever social setting surrounds us.  The grip with our Father’s Hand loosens.  We fail to speak politely.  We ignore the red flags of our Father warning us of danger.  Our eyes and hearts desensitize to the despair each day presents and so we do nothing.  Our feet walk so quickly and miss the curve or turn which our Father intended on our path.  Satan controls our fast pace and continues filling us with lies.  We feel the need to fit in supercedes the desire in our heart to follow our Father.  Are we happy?  Are we the creation our Father intended us to be?  Is it worth it?

My opinion, NO!  Conforming to the patterns of this world steals our joy, peace and purpose.  I want to be the odd man out if it means my Father and I walk hand in hand, taking each turn and curve as intended on the path laid before me.  I want to maintain my relationship with my Father, appreciate who He created me to be, speak and act in love and recognize the lies which Satan tries to feed me.  I want to be so close to my Father that He continues to renew and refresh me with His Word each moment of each day. 

Thanks NYC for the lessons. . .I think I will go back to being Sheree Craig now.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment