Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Perfection is Overrated


Take a look at each of these; each slightly differs in word usage:


10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. NIV

10 Do you think I speak this strongly in order to manipulate crowds? Or curry favor with God? Or get popular applause? If my goal was popularity, I wouldn’t bother being Christ’s slave. The Message

10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. ESV

10 Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.  NLT

No matter the version of the Bible used, Galatians 1:10 presents a hefty message.  Let’s unpack the Scripture together.  This one Scripture speaks loudly to me on more than one occasion. 

One word sums up my character: introvert.  Crowds bring anxiety, relationships create fear, change increases emotion and time remains my worst enemy.  The root cause: approval + striving for perfection.  See if I remain perfect, pleasing whoever stands in front of me at the moment, then acceptance will always prevail.  Over the years exhaustion struck due to chasing everyone around trying to fit into who they thought Sheree should be.  Along the path, I did not even know Sheree anymore.  I cannot explain the emotion when looking in the mirror only to reveal a stranger staring back.

Solution: build up sturdy walls around my heart, do what needs to be done in the world daily and rush back home to safety.  Home, oh yes, a safe haven away from people, judgements, chance for failure and quiet.  This sequence continued until kids grew to an age when pacifiers, food and simple toys did not please emotions.  Talking back became a struggle, for the kids did not approve of mom anymore or care to accept the attempts at solving the situation.  Now risk existed at home for failure, harsh judgement and disapproval.  Where could I go to be safe?  What could I do to protect from pain? 

Build more walls, of course.  Shut out the ones closest to me, meeting all their needs while keeping distance enough so to not see flaws in my character.  Guess what, this caused exhaustion to strike as well.  All I desired was to be loved, accepted and comforted; yet, I lost the ability to give any of these precious gifts to others as I built the strongest fort around my own heart. 

Post Baptism, you would think this lifestyle washed away, all walls fell down and introvert no longer existed in my character.  Boy do I wish!  But, what did happen:  I began a journey of healing.  I realized Who I served, that a purpose existed for me and in order to fulfill His plan I must live in the world.  I ran to Him for love, acceptance and comfort.  He provided these and so much more! 

As followers of Christ, we must build each other up; let the walls that hide our true selves crumble and work diligently to reflect the image of our Maker.  We cannot be liked by all, perfect in anything or steer clear of tough situations.  I challenge you to come alongside as I focus on today’s Scripture and remember Who we serve, our purpose here and strive to be like Christ in character. 

As each wall begins to crumble around my heart, I begin to see the person God created is not so bad!  Yes, I have “issues” – don’t we all!  This makes the world interesting.  Yes, I still “struggle” – don’t we all!  This makes us cling close to God, relying on His Truth to see us through each situation.  Yes, I still seek “approval” – don’t we all!  This reminds us how exhausting such a lifestyle becomes and helps us get back on track by focusing on today’s Scripture.


Have a blessed day today and each to follow as we together focus on serving God!  And as always. . .Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment