Saturday, August 22, 2015

Finding Rest





My daughter suffers with nightmares more often than not.  The night begins as does every other night. . .

We gather together in prayer, walk each child to bed, hug & kiss good night and end with speaking a comforting confirmation of our love toward them.  Most nights of the week, a sweet little child vocalizes THE QUESTION which begins a small meltdown:  “Can we switch beds?”  This indicates the desire for my daughter to share the bed with me and my husband share a bed with our son.  We do this about once a week for fun; but, the question comes much more often and we must inform this child that the answer is NO. 

Therefore, meltdown occurs and she lays out a guilt trip in hopes for us to cave in and change the answer.  She fears lying alone due to the nightmares, placing a nightly bondage in her life.  My heart breaks thinking such fear accompanies this basic need: sleep. 

One particular evening/early morning, she ran to my bedside in horrified tears crying out my name.  She let me know of the terrifying dream and held tightly to her blanket.  I eased with the usual comforting answer, “It is all fake, you are safe.”  Then, I pulled her into bed with me for the remainder of time.  All was well in the Craig household. . .for the time being.

Less than one hour later, the same sound filled the room; only this time right next to my ear.  Another nightmare gripped my daughter, stealing peaceful sleep.  She rolled to me, placing her sweet hand on my shoulder seeking comfort.  She told me, “You know how to make it all better.”  Wow, pretty powerful words – no pressure, right?

Ever feel like life resembles a nightmare?  Sleeping actually allows for an escape from such horrifying scenes played out during the day.  Once the alarm rings, you roll over in hopes today will reveal a better storyline than previous pages written in life.  The day begins as does every other day. . .

Grab a caffeine fix, clean up for the day, dress accordingly and head out the door for the first destination.  A sweet, yet quiet, voice sounds inside to confirm protection, love and comfort for this day.  This indicates the desire for the Holy Spirit to share this day with you.  Before facing trials of the day, we confidently agree to such a Companion, Guide and Protector. 

Slowly the enemy creeps in to steal such confidence and freedom of resting at the Cross.  With each trial before us, the enemy works diligently to find a foothold, placing bondage over the day.  Where do you run when such occurs?  When the nightmare flashes before your eyes, to whom do you turn for help?  As the enemy steals the pen and begins writing out the story for the day, how do you find a way back to peace?

Run to the One Who knows how to make it all better. . .

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” 
Matthew 11:28

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 
1Peter 5:7

50 My comfort in my suffering is this:  Your promise preserves my life. 
Psalm 119:50

5 Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. 
Psalm 25:5
     

And as always. . .

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment