Sunday, June 14, 2015

Peel Away


When entering the grocery store with an organized list, I venture to the produce section.  Here, I take much time in choosing the perfect products to serve the freshest of each kind.  From potatoes to tomatoes, I become very selective.  My eyes scan for beauty in color, shape and size.  Then, my hands feel for firmness to assure a solid core exists under the layered beauty.  With selections made, I venture onto the rest of the list and out the door homeward bound.

Few days later, I pull out a nice looking onion purchased for intent to season a favorite dish of the family.  Peeling away the thin skin reveals another beautiful layer, white and shiny with aroma screaming flavor.  Layer by layer, beauty remains and excitement builds in anticipation of a delicious dinner which lay in the future.  All of a sudden, I cut deep into the core of the onion only to find a rotting center.  Disgusting in color, atrocious in scent and mush to the touch; I work diligently to save what portions appear okay and quickly discard the rotten core. 

Had the onion sat a week longer at the store, the rotten core would begin to move outwardly and taint the beauty which drew my eye to choose that one.  Had the onion sat just a few days longer, the rotten core would move outwardly only to a few layers, leaving a beautiful façade outwardly drawing my eye to that one.  Either way, a rotten core does not remain.  Eventually, over time the rotten section moves outwardly and overtakes the once beautiful produce.

Correlation:  the recovery process resembles an onion.  Peeling back the layers of hurt, rejection, disappointment, lack of confidence, etc. reveals the core of the battle.  It is then; true lasting healing can take place.  Beautifying the core will bring peace. 

Is it easy?  NOPE!  I am discovering along this road of recovery that peeling back the outer layers pale in comparison to facing the core.  In the beginning of this journey, the outer layer consisted of my eating disorder and refeeding the body.  At the time, the steps felt quite difficult and impossible.  One day at a time I moved toward physical healing by providing needed nutrition daily.  Recovered, right?  NOPE!  Another layer revealed obsessive compulsive disorder and the comfort of routine.  One day at a time I moved toward going with the flow without accompanied anxiety.  Recovered, right?  NOPE!

Layer by layer, the process continues with each one faced harder than the previous.  Peeling back a layer alone is impossible.  Beautifying the revealed rotten layer alone is impossible.  Healing the damage alone is impossible.  My dear friends, God did not intend for us to face this world alone!

He reveals one layer at a time so to avoid overwhelming our human minds.  He works diligently in each situation when we ask Him in.  Doing so prevents throwing out or burying the rotten core again.  See, the reason for the numerous layers existing in recovery stems from burial of emotions, events and episodes throughout life that seemed too hard to handle.  No matter the amount of layers, God will reveal the next when He knows you are ready to face it. 

He will take your hand, guide you through His Word and begin creation of a new you!  It is exciting what the new creation brings.  The old, rottenness leaves and the new, refreshed you begin to see purpose in life.  You begin enjoying the moments He planned for you.  You begin to see beauty all around.  No more layers.  No more hidden pain. 

Let us peel back the layers and face the rotten core with Him as our guide.  We may not be where we need to be, but at least we have begun the process and do not remain where we used to be.  My dear friends, He will not stop the process of growth and healing until completion.  Trust Him.  Listen to His guidance.

I know I will get to that beauty one day.  I know what I face as I move toward the core of my pain grows in difficulty.  But, I also know my redeemer lives and He will not leave me where I sit today.  He plans to move me toward maturity in Him.  He plans to use all this I learn to help another.  Take me Lord, heal me, use me and demand Satan to get behind as you and I fulfill the work planned for my life. 


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment