Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Fill’er Up!




The brilliancy of my van warns me as the red little needle nears the letter E.  I recognize the warning but really don’t have time or energy to fill up my tank on the way home tonight.  So, as I park in my driveway I assure the front end is on flat ground.  Therefore, tomorrow morning as I turn my key there will be just enough gasoline to ignite the engine and make it to the gas station down the road.  Had I parked on our mountaintop driveway as I normally do; the tank would tilt in such a way to inhibit gasoline from reaching the proper place to start my van. 

Morning comes and I head straight to the gas station.  I have no choice but to make this my very first stop.  I arrive at the pump and prepare my van to receive fuel. . .diesel, unleaded,  premium, super. . .which shall I choose?  Well, of course I will reach for the cheapest.  In today’s economy and world, who could afford anything else?  My tank tops off at $48.00.  Really?  Now I see why I delay the inevitable.  Without a full tank I would not be able to drive forward or make it to desired destinations.  My tank must be full to accomplish daily tasks and functions.

How many of us, myself included, allow our spiritual tanks to run empty?  The options to fill up exist, but we don’t have time for that today.  We could get up earlier and dive into His Word first thing, but exhaustion overrides the idea.  We could join a Bible study, but the drive to and from would just take up too much of our time.  Plus, sitting with a group of individuals we don’t know is scary.  So, we walk around with our needle nearing E and warning signs going off; yet, continue to push as far as we can.  We attend church on Sunday; isn’t that enough?

Well, I have learned, without daily filling of Truth, we become stagnant.  Our desired destinations, planned by our Father, never quite get reached.  We feel ourselves dragging along, going through the motions and losing passion in our lives.  God waits with open arms to fill us up, overflowing with blessings and His Truth to guide our every days.  Luckily, only one choice exists when seeking to fill up. . .His Word.  He created one Book to turn to for spiritual growth and strength.  Pick one up today and fill yourselves with spiritual fuel.  No more excuses.  Let’s strengthen our Christian walk so we may lead others to Him.  Just as you see vehicles roadside, stranded in need of gasoline to continue on their path; so you will see hurting, lost people stranded in need of His Truth to set them free along your path.  He will open your eyes and provide you with the tools needed to help His Children. 
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
My friends, we cannot afford to choose anything else.  Turn to Our Father and seek His Kingdom so Eternity may be spent alongside Him.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work. Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment