Tuesday, September 1, 2015

You are Puny


The event filled the calendar for weeks now.  Sunday afternoon booked due to a church outing on the river.  The means of travel did not include a motor, sail or steering mechanism.  A raft big enough to fit the Craig family kept us afloat.  An oar backed by my right and left arm kept us advancing forward in the river.  Oh yeah, we received some help from my hubby as well.  ;-)

The two guys filled with excitement as time drew near; meanwhile, the girls remained a bit hesitant.  See, as shared in other posts, I do not like water unless taking a hot shower; especially unclear water without knowledge of underlying items (or creatures).  Plus, the fact that our safe return relies on two puny arms pushing against a mighty river increased the fear inside.  Seriously, the odds are not in my favor here.

Upon arrival, I worked diligently to convince self that the next three hours would be filled with fun, laughter and good memories.  A bus shipped us to a landing to choose a raft and power source – a plastic oar.  Seriously?  Can I have a small motor please?  My poor family had to take me as the driving force instead. 

Off we went into the river.  No turning back now.  Three miles lay ahead which we must conquer in order to return safely to our nice motorized source of travel.  We hit mile one with enthusiasm.  Working as a team to progress forward came with difficulty.  One side weaker than the other (I won’t mention whose side that was), often found us turning in circles instead of moving forward.  Numerous times, I felt no progress being made creating an intense frustration and desire to give up. 

We stopped off midway on a small island to let the kids get in the water and just chill in the sunshine, enjoying a beautiful day.  Fast forward a bit (trust me, I wish that were an option due to real time feeling slow motion), we began to head toward the vehicle.  1.5 miles lay in front of us.  After 0.5 miles of that stretch, IT began.  One drop fell as my family continued to struggle with the whole progressing forward thing.  My daughter sat content in the middle, husband on one side and my son and I on the other.  Then, another drop fell.  Not a tiny, little sprinkle – these were the Forrest Gump “Big ol’ fat rain” drops.  Okay, this exciting opportunity to create a memory quickly turned into a scene from an intense drama.  Pelting down, the rain picked up in speed and intensity which left my daughter in tears, son filled with adrenaline, husband worn out as I prayed for help!  My daughter stated truthfully that had we not stopped we would be back by now.  Retort from my son – “you had so much fun when we stopped”.  Retort from my daughter – “but I did not know this was going to happen”.

Do we ever know 100% when a storm is coming?  Life continues daily as scheduled, making one decision upon another.  Some days reveal more excitement than the next.  Some paths have better means of travel than the other.  But, all in all, each day makes up our story.  The attitude and way we choose to face each one makes all the difference.  There must be moments in life when we stop to relax, enjoy the scenery and remain out of the water. 

Times will arise when travel through a day, situation, month or year seem quite difficult.  We arrive at the open door placed before us only to fear the mighty waters ahead.  We begin to take a look inside ourselves and deem unworthiness, weakness and impossibility. 

There is only One Power Source that will lead to progress.  There is only One Power Source that will bring survival in the toughest of waters.  There is only One Power Source that will help discern the need to persevere, relax or stall.  Through the storms of this life, the easy flowing waters or the still calm waters; none can be faced upon your own power.  You are puny. . .without Him.
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

When we laid down to rest my husband said, “Looking back on the situation now, it really was not that bad.”  Being that we now lay cozy under covers in dry clothes.  Life seems impossible when caught in a storm. . .but perseverance, faith, trust and love will see you through to the other side.  It is then, looking back, you will see the meaning of the situation and be strengthened all the more to face the next storm in life. 

Therefore, each day we must. . .

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.    

No comments:

Post a Comment