Saturday, September 20, 2014

Learning from our Teacher

I have learned more during the launch of my nursing career than the whole two years attending school.  The learning did not come from books or lectures; but, real life in-your-face situations.  This selfish woman began a new career and a transformation into new attitude toward each day.  I would like to share four things I learned thus far. . .

LIFE is not for me!  Yes, before I believed each day existed to reach contentment and fulfillment.  Well, I was wrong.  With each sunrise opportunity to help another arises.  Avoid fleshly desires/comfort and grow your heart beyond what can be imagined.  Changing thoughts from self to others keeps Satan at a distance.  Taking each moment to help another allows Jesus’ light to shine through.     
“Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.  Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” Philippians 2:1-4

PHYSICAL strength will not sustain you!  My body screams after twelve hours standing, walking, bending, pulling and pushing.  It crashes for six hours only to get up and repeat same situations.  After three nights continuing this pattern, I question if I can do anymore.  Physical strength fails each us often; therefore, we must not rely on our own strength to persevere.  God can do more than we can even ask or imagine as we lean on Him for strength, guidance and help in the most difficult situations.  It is only through Him we will find the straight path leading to eternal life in Heaven.    
“The Lord is my strength and my defense;
    he has become my salvation.
He is my God, and I will praise him,
    my father’s God, and I will exalt him.” Exodus 15:2

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6

ATTITUDE makes all the difference!  This powerful statement will carry you to mighty places and grow faith tremendously.  Approaching a difficult situation with a conquering attitude brings success rather than dread.  Success leads to changing lives of all you meet.  And changing lives proves the reason our Father sent us here! 
May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Romans 15:5-6

A SMILE goes a long way!  “Kill them with kindness.”  True Dat!  Those with illness develop frustrations, anger and even depression as the days go along without them able to do the skills done before arriving in a facility.  Think back to a time when you were bedridden, weak and feeling terrible. . .what if that continued for weeks or indefinitely?  I am sure my emotions would plummet and my words may not always be kind.  Therefore, I realize the individuals I encounter need a smile.  A smile spreads like wildfire.  A hug heals the deepest hurts.  A kind word wipes out negative attitudes.  Instead of judging or criticizing, we need to love and comfort.
When I smiled at them, they scarcely believed it;
    the light of my face was precious to them.” Job 29:24    

AND ALWAYS. . .

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment