Monday, October 14, 2013

Removing the Plank

Our church sends a weekly email on Wednesday to provide information concerning Sunday’s message and a few other announcements.  The subject for the message jumps off the screen.  Oh, I cannot wait for my husband to hear this one.  God I pray You speak loud and clear to him through this message, guide him in the right direction and provide strength needed to change.  I keep the prayer to myself, but chime in a few hints throughout the week to set the tone for my husband in preparation to hear the message. 
Sunday comes and the chaotic morning reveals itself once again.  Finally out the door, I remember the subject soon to be taught.  Again, God I pray You speak loud and clear to my husband through this message.  I sit down, knowing this week does not really apply to me, but I want to hear all the ways to help my husband change.  I move closer to my husband, elbow ready to nudge him should he begin to drift away in thought.  I just don’t want him to miss a thing.  I am looking out for him, right?  I am concerned about his well-being and only want the best for him, right?
As we leave the church, my husband rubs his arm to ease the pain of countless elbow jabbing received during the past hour.  Despite the bruise forming, I am thrilled he heard today’s sermon.  It came in just the right timing.  He needed this. 
I will say it for you. . .WOW, REALLY?
C’mon, I think we all have experienced these thoughts a time or two.  We sit in church listening intently to the message and think, “I wish so-and-so were here for this”, or our eyes continually look to the person next to us while nudging a bit, insinuating to tune in, this pertains to them.
Well, my friend, one Scripture provides the eye opening experience we ALL need. . .“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?” (Matthew 7:3-4)
God provides messages daily. . .not for us to rebuke others, judge His children based on opinions and attitudes or nudge the one sitting next to us.  These messages are for US!  All Scripture pertains to each of His children and applies specifically to the current season.  Too often (I am guilty as well) we want to apply the Scripture to someone else’s life.  We use Scripture as a weapon to change our spouse or loved one.  Scripture is useful to teach US in our own lives, correcting our walk and providing the strength needed to take the next step the path laid for US.  Cool thing about our God. . .once we learn from the Scriptures, He uses us as a vessel.  Not to go and condemn others and make them change to conform to our ideas and thoughts.  But, He uses us as an example.  We when grow closer to God by removing every plank from our eye, we exemplify a true Christian, a follower of Christ and therefore love others towards growth.  No condemnation, no nudging, no prayers wishing a person to change and no judgment.  As children of God, we love, provide grace, encourage others to seek Scripture for themselves and listen to what God wants for their lives.  We are not interpreters for God, we are merely vessels which to shine His light.
Love others each step of the way.  Encourage them to look to God for guidance.  Listen for the lessons He desires in your own life.  Give each plank to Him, one at a time, and He will build a life beyond your imagination.  Dive into His Word today and see how to remove each plank.    
Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig    

No comments:

Post a Comment