Thursday, December 31, 2015

The One Piece to Living


Think about the following question for a minute before continuing to read.  What does it mean to live?

Some may correlate the word with alive.  In that case, the answer arrives simply by checking the function of lungs/heart.  Is that it?  As long as breath enters and blood pumps throughout the body, we are living?  No, no, no, go back to the original question:  What does it mean to live?

I can tell you that the body given, organs placed strategically by a Mighty Physician, features aligned just so to provide a unique and beautiful vessel and all this working together daily does not sum up living.  That equates being alive.  I want to talk about living.  See, I spent 6+ days alive (at times I was not so sure), but not living.  My lungs worked (the continuous hacking confirmed that), the heart continued to beat (at times boiling blood confirmed by the thermometer displaying triple digits) and each system kept trucking along fighting off such a terrible virus.  But, no part of those 6+ days I would consider living.  I existed, as a lump on the couch whose presence was known by random moaning and hacking so loud the neighbors could hear. 

I sat and watched the other members of the home live.  The scenes were difficult to watch as I knew I could not play a part.  The laughter beautiful, but brought jealousy due to lack of energy to join.  The peace filled home continued just as is without any contribution from me.  The sad part about the whole situation: had I not been down with the virus, I am not sure I would be taking part in such fun, laughter and peace anyway. 
See, I have been alive for 30+ years, heart beating and lungs breathing; but, I can count on one hand how many of those years I actually spent living.  I have been too caught up in society to live. 

10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.  Galatians 1:10

Yep, win the approval of human beings hijacked each day.  Therefore, I worked diligently to clean the house spotless daily (endless job with kids), place exercise as a requirement in order to eat, spent time nitpicking in front of the liar of a mirror, put everything in its place and worked with all effort to look perfect on the outside.  Meanwhile, my children wanted to play Legos, show mom their newest skill, color together, watch their favorite movie together and just get a hug.  My husband wanted attention, to talk about his day, a kiss from his wife and to relax in our home.  I had this living thing all wrong.

Coming down with the virus is not something people desire.  But, I will say I am thankful for every lesson learned while caught up in this storm of pain, weakness and suffering.  It brought humility, reality check and a stronger faith.

Humility in the form of allowing others to do something for me due to the fact I could not even make it to the restroom without crawling (slowly at that).  Reality check in the form of watching what goes on in the home whilst I would have been cleaning, organizing and stressing about preparation for the following day.  Stronger faith in the form of feeling the arms of God hold me tightly through each moment of healing.  God and I held many conversations pertaining to the steps required for healing.  He provided encouragement, strength and hope while providing many lessons along the way.  God is good ALL the time!
So, back to the original question. . . What does it mean to live?

Are you living or just alive?  Take a moment and check on that answer.  Living involves loved ones surrounding, embracing, laughing, helping and loving as God intended.  Living involves purpose, focus on serving and caring for the body provided.  The Mighty Physician provided all needed to be alive in the womb; but, left one piece open which is required for living.  The Holy Spirit fits perfectly into position and living can begin.  We must invite the Holy Spirit into our lives.  And. . .


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.  
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment