Saturday, May 19, 2012

Proud Parent

I watch my four year old tie her shoes with ease.  My eyes gleam as she folds laundry perfectly.  Although it may be on our furniture, she can correctly write her name.  No longer does this little girl splash in a bathtub with cheaply made toys; she now takes showers and asked for all bath toys to be tossed in the garbage.  She forms sentences as only an adult could.  In tee ball, she hits the ball solid, in great form and runs quickly to her base.  Fielding comes with ease and she grabs the ball to throw to first for an "out".  I am a proud parent.

My daughter cares for others every day.  She will sporadically say, "Mommy, I love you."  She will rub my back often, open doors for me, push the cart around the store to help out, bring her dishes to the sink after eating and use manners when asking for a service or item.  She willingly shares with her brother, for the most part.  When receiving a treat, she always thinks to take one for her bubby as well.  She smiles always, hugs often, gives out the best kisses and brings joy wherever her feet travel.  I am a proud parent.

I watch my eight year old tie his shoes with ease.  I smile from ear to ear as I read the latest accomplishment made at school.  His report card displays only an A or B.  He works hard at school and home on work given by the teacher.  His little mind never quits working, soaks up all information and enjoys learning new material.  He officially has a signature now and writes other words in cursive as well.  He chooses his own outfit for the day (and actually matches) and needs no assistance in grooming.  His conversations go deep and serious at times.  He shows creativity in all he does.  His hands can create the greatest of masterpieces.  In baseball, he hits the ball past the infielders and hustles to each base.  He sits behind home plate with all the gear and very few balls get past this handsome catcher.  I am a proud parent.

My son thinks about others every day.  He comes up with thoughtful ways to show he cares.  He will create a card for his daddy or me.  He will wrap up a gift to give a family member.  He cleans up after himself, helps carry heavy loads to and from the house, creates a delicious menu for the week and uses manners when asking for an item or service.  He brings laughter always, hugs often, displays the best smile and loves others wherever his feet travel.  I am a proud parent.

Yes, it could be sad to see my children grow up, become more independent and mature.  But, the joy of seeing their characters, love and wisdom shine outweighs the sadness.  Sure, I loved holding and rocking a baby to sleep.  I enjoyed clapping wildly as the first step was taken.  I miss the "easy" days where no attitude existed (because they could not talk), their only influence was I and my husband and they turned to me for all needs.  But, I stand with a proud heart as I see them carry out actions we taught.  Their morals reflect and answer my prayers.  I see God taking such good care of them and I know He has great plans for each of their lives.

In the same way, God watches proudly as we (His children) daily make the right choice.  He gleams as we accept Him into our lives, display faith each moment and serve Him boldly.  He created in us skills and talents intended for the use of furthering His Kingdom.  Used correctly, we will succeed in fulfilling the will He planned.  Seek Him to figure out where He wants you to go with the body, mind and spirit He created in you.  He is our Father and we must look to Him for guidance, wisdom and all our needs.  He will carry us in the weak times and through the toughest of trials; only to bring us out on the other side with greater maturity.  We learn daily what is expected and carry out His commands.

So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it. (Philippians 3:15-16 The Message)

So bring a smile to your Father's face by taking care of the body given.  Feed yourself daily with nourishing foods, His Word and exercise properly.  Speak clearly any concerns and request through prayer.  Be upfront and mature in speech.  Show caution in speaking to others, restrict anger, display forgiveness and encourage those He brings in your path.  Go to Him before each decision.  Love others, help always, display a smile to everyone, hug often and shine His light wherever your feet travel.  Live according to His Word.  Then, He will say as a proud Father, "Well done good and faithful servant."

"because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." (James 1:3-5)

God, thank you for another day.  May my actions and words be pleasing to You today.  I thank You for the blessings poured on my life.  I pray for guidance on how to treat each blessing and enjoy each breath given.  Thank You for bringing my two children up so well.  I am so proud of them and love them with all my heart.  Continue to work through me each moment to teach, love and guide them.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment