Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Be a Passenger

I began my journey one day on a highway traveled many times before.  My destination was a familiar place.  I knew which turns to take, which landmarks indicated I grew near and the exit on which to veer off.  Yet, as I sat comfortably in the driver's seat, I reached to Garmin.  I plugged in my destination and hit view map.  I felt comforted knowing 'someone' came alongside me for the ride.  At each turn I heard the familiar voice confirming my move.  The map allowed me to see just far enough ahead to know what curves, side roads and places exist. 

At one point in my travel, I began to veer right.  At just the perfect moment, Garmin shouted differently, "Keep left on highway."  I was able to stay in the existing lane and not cause any harm to traffic or myself.  Thank you Garmin!  My thoughts slipped and I forgot that I was to remain on the current highway.  Garmin continued to help me and I listened intently until reaching my destination. 

At any point, should my ears disregard Garmin's advice, my hands turn the wheel incorrectly or my thoughts veer me in the wrong direction; I would become lost.  I would end up at the wrong destination and my comfort of 'someone' leading me will not exist.  Garmin would continue to shout, "Recalculating" at me.  Garmin could always get me where I need to be from wherever I may venture, but I must listen and follow instructions.  Garmin holds maps of all kinds in memory and knows just the perfect path leading to my destination.  Without Garmin, I could never reach the places I need to be or my home.

Do you ever get into a mundane, repetitive lifestyle?  Each day, we wake up, continue on the same highway of life, see the same things daily and get to our required destination.  We go through the motions of our day without much thought.  Every day - the same thing. . .

. . .no matter how familiar each day may be or the path traveled; I caution you to remember to take Someone alongside.  Take a seat comfortably in the passenger side and allow Him to guide each move.  He will punch in your destination and allow you to view the map to a certain extent.  He holds the whole picture in His hands, but does not allow for you to see it all at once.  Our minds cannot contain that much information at one time.  With every turn, His familiar voice will confirm or protest.  Listen closely, for He knows the way to go!

"he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake." (Psalm 23:3)

Should your ears disregard His advice, your hands reach for control of the wheel or your thoughts be consumed with lies; you will become lost.  Venturing off the straight path leads to destruction.  Surroundings will be foreign, comfort nonexistent, meaningless tasks will appear, bondage moves in on you and nothing good can result in the steps taken.  God will continue to shout your name and reach for your hand.  He will never leave your side.  He can get you back on the straight path leading to the places He planned and eventually to your Home.  You must listen carefully and follow His instructions found in a perfect Book.  A step by step guide remains for all to own.  Pick one up today and begin to reach for His hand.  His Word will carefully bring you out of the mundane, repetitive lifestyle.  He will increase your joy, rid you of thoughtless actions, teach you the way to go and use you to further His Kingdom.  He will renew your thoughts daily with beautiful Truth spoken to your heart (see Romans 12:2).

Give Him the wheel, seek His instruction and move carefully in His direction.  Be alert, living each day for God.  Shine His light for all to see.  Be a beacon for others to come join the path He laid, leading to our Eternal Home!

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16)

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for placing my feet on the path laid for my life.  Keep my ears tuned, eyes open and actions made for You.  Give me the words I need to shine Your light to the world.  Use me as a beacon to You.  Thank You for never leaving me and reaching for me when I was so lost.  Now I am found.  I see You, hear You and feel You every moment of my day.  Thank You.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig   

No comments:

Post a Comment