Friday, February 24, 2012

Perfect Timing, Perfect Speed

A sunny day in February was not going to waste for my children.  I told them to go out on the front deck to play before we needed to leave for the evening.  I assured them I would be coming in five minutes.  I found myself completing a few chores and five minutes passed.  My son peeped his head in the door and asked me to play baseball with him.  "Sure," I said, feeling honored to be asked!  I finished up my task and headed out the door. 

A ball, two gloves and an eight year old wait patiently for me to begin the game.  We passed several times between one another with pretty good success.  My daughter watched as one ball after another hit soft leather.  Then, it happened. . .

A ball thrown to my son missed the glove.  It made direct contact with his lip.  Yes, it bled and it hurt.  He cried, my daughter cried and I wanted to cry.  Now, to my defense, I did not mean to do this.  It was thrown right to him, but the glove did not cooperate in catching it.  Right then and there, I was fired from playing baseball with my son.  My one chance to be the cool mom and bond with him by playing baseball and I ruined it after about five minutes.  I was benched!

Do ever feel like this in life?  A big opportunity you have been waiting for finally comes and BOOM!  You totally strike out.  Nothing goes as planned and you walk away slumped over, head down. 

An interview you waited five years to get finally comes.  Your attire is perfect, hair fixed nicely, briefcase in hand, smile on face, fresh breath and an extended hand to greet the interviewer.  After the handshake, nothing goes as planned.  Your words run together.  You speak only about all the degrees earned and achievements made, but leave out character traits and motivation.  You tried way too hard to impress the other and your nerves took over.  No callback occurred. 

Or, a local organization is in need of hands, minds and time from individuals.  It sounds like a great opportunity, so you volunteer without question.  Once involved, the position consumes your time, leaves you exhausted and creates bitterness towards a beneficial organization in your city.  Rushing into something without ample thought will lead to broken spirits and frustrated minds.  You set yourself up for failure when undertaking a task not intended for you in that season of life.

Don't give up.  In life, sometimes we try too hard, rush into things, allow our passion to override logic or just plain get it wrong.  Another opportunity will rise.  Learn from the mistakes made and know that one failed attempt does not make you a failure.

"being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience," (Colossians 1:11)

Also, many opportunities exist daily for us to spread our faith and reach out to others.  But, we must do so carefully.  Seek God for discernment on which chances to take and which to hold off for a while.  All things work out for the good of those who love God.  He will direct your paths and show you where He needs you to act.  Wait on Him.  Avoid rushing into something because it sounds good, getting so excited for the opportunity that you try to impress the other or becoming so passionate that you scare the other away.  Chill and let God shine through you.  Take Him with you everywhere you go to assure that words will come at just the right moment, decisions will be clear and being you will be exactly what is needed to show Christ to the other.

"Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction." (2 Timothy 4:2)

Learn from my poor little man's swollen lip that trying too hard never works out.  Don't throw the ball to fast or hard.  Yet, throw the ball at just the right time with just enough speed that it lands perfectly in the glove.  Once caught, the other's eyes can see clearly and learn from you.  If we do it in our timing and our speed, we end up turning them away and leave wrong impressions.  Don't give up, give the situation to God and try again differently next time. 

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for second chances and lessons learned.  I often let my passion and emotions override my actions.  I rush into situations, try way too hard to impress another and get it wrong.  I end up turning others off and pushing them away.  Give me the words, patience and actions to spread Truth to others in a way that is pleasing to You.  Shine through me.  Show me how to relate to others without scaring them off or ruining the moment.  I am here, use me!  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig
  

No comments:

Post a Comment